The Wolf Group, P.C. (TWG) is the premier CPA firm in the Washington, DC, area specializing in international and expatriate tax planning and compliance services. We serve a sophisticated clientele of foreign nationals with U.S. interests and Americans with interests abroad.
About the Job
CHALLENGE: Prepare/review tax returns for World Bank employees, expatriate executives, employees of international organizations (IMF, IDB, United Nations, etc.), globally mobile entrepreneurs, and families with global assets.
GROWTH: We are seeking professionals who are looking for a long-term relationship with our firm.
SCHEDULE: This is a recurring seasonal role, dedicated to serving clients during the spring tax season (late January to April 15) and fall tax season (optional). Hours start at 20-30 hr/wk in January and ramp up to 45+ hr/wk (45-60, depending on individual agreements) in March and early April. Part-time, hourly work may also be available for interested individuals between April 15 and October 15.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: The position kicks off in mid-January with extensive training and onboarding, culminating in an all-staff annual training week at the end of January. We conduct ongoing training year-round.
LOCATION: The position is based in TWG’s Fairfax, VA, office, although remote work arrangements could be considered for professionals with the right experience.
- You are energized by the prospect of stimulating work
- You love tax and have a solid foundation in individual tax compliance (and knowledge of at least one other area of tax, as well—e.g., corporate, partnership, gift/estate, or trust)
- You are a seasoned professional who interacts comfortably with intelligent, successful (although not always tax-savvy) individual tax clients
- Although you may have worked full-time year-round in the past, you now appreciate a flexible schedule that allows for reduced (or no) hours outside of spring tax season
- Your superior organizational and project management skills enable you to skillfully manage complex projects with multiple moving parts
What You’ll Do
You will be part of a team that prepares (mostly) individual tax returns with many interesting foreign elements, each of which introduces a puzzle and variety into the tax preparation process. Common forms and schedules include Form 1116, 2555, 8938, 8621, 3520, 3520-A, 5471, 8865, 8833, 926, 965, 1040NR, and 8288-B.
- Prepare/review U.S. individual tax returns for U.S. residents, expatriates, and foreign nationals with diverse financial interests. Prepare/review certain entity returns, as needed (e.g., partnerships, corporations, trusts—depending on technical experience)
- Learn continuously about nuances in the tax treatment of individuals with foreign assets and income
- Deliver a high level of client service by communicating directly with clients to manage expectations, explain tax implications, obtain missing information, and strengthen client relationships
- Set and adjust priorities daily, in line with project load, new information received, budget and deadline requirements, and client satisfaction considerations
Your Background and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and CPA, JD, or EA
- 3 to 10+ years of U.S. tax compliance experience with a public accounting firm, with a focus on private client services or high-net-worth individuals
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- High integrity and client-service focus
TWG provides a range of tax services to clients. Familiarity with some or all of these services is a plus but not a requirement, as we provide training in these areas: foreign financial assets (FBAR & FATCA); international corporate taxation; tax planning for high-net-worth individuals; corporate, small business, and entity taxation; changes in residency status; tax equalization; expatriation (Exit Tax); IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs (OVDP); passive foreign investment companies (PFICs); and foreign pensions, trusts, and investments.
Interested candidates should send professional resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Wolf Group provides a friendly, supportive and highly professional environment with a team-oriented culture. We offer competitive compensation and employ the best of the best.